التعريف والنظرة العامة
A labiaplasty, or labia reconstruction, is a surgical procedure that aims to improve the general appearance of the female genitals. It is performed on the inner (labia minora) and outer labia, the folds of skin around the vulva.
Who Should Undergo And Expected Results
Women who undergo labiaplasty are those who suffer from conditions that affect their genital area and those who, even without a medical reason, wish to simply improve the appearance of their genitals.
The medical conditions that cause some abnormalities in the labia include:
- Vaginal atresia, or when a woman has no vaginal passage
- Mullerian agenesis, a condition that causes the malformation of the fallopian tubes and uterus
Intersexuality, or a woman with male characteristics
Other medical reasons for undergoing a labiaplasty include:
Trauma or injury to the labia
- Tearing of the labia minora due to childbirth
- Stretching of the labia due to aging
- Sex reassignment surgery
About 30 percent of labiaplasty cases are performed due to functional medical reasons, whereas almost 40 percent are performed for purely aesthetic purposes.
Labia reconstruction surgery, which has up to 95 percent satisfaction rating, has proven to be highly effective in improving the appearance of the labia and resolving any problems associated with it. However, it is not for everyone and the following are advised against it:
- Women with existing and active gynaecological diseases, such as malignant tumours or cancer
- Are smokers and are not willing to quit, as smoking can compromise the patient’s ability to heal after the procedure
- Have unrealistic aesthetic goals, in which case, patients may require counselling
كيف يعمل هذا الإجراء
A labiaplasty is available in hospitals as well as specialty and plastic surgery clinics.
However, not all gynaecologists and gynaecologic surgeons support and perform cosmetic labiaplasty. The largest criticism of the procedure is that the desire to undergo a labiaplasty stems from poor self-esteem fueled by unrealistic expectations and standards. This is why cosmetic labiaplasty may only be available in private cosmetic clinics, especially in countries where guidelines have been set as to which cases can be cleared for a labia reconstruction procedure. In some countries, women are first advised to undergo counseling and are only allowed to undergo the procedure if they still desire to do so following their meeting with a counsellor.
During a labia reconstruction surgery, the patient is placed under either local or general anesthesia depending on the extent of the procedure and whether it is being performed on its own or in combination with other procedures.
Techniques that can be used in performing a labiaplasty include:
Edge resection technique – This is known as the original labia reconstruction technique wherein a simple resection of the excess tissues of the labia minora is performed. The surgery ends with the surgeon suturing the cut part together using dissolvable stitches. However, it is known for producing unnatural results, such as making the labia looks too smooth.
Central wedge resection technique – This method cuts and removes a wedge of tissue from the labia’s thickest part to effectively reduce its size while keeping its natural wrinkles and giving it a more natural contour.
De-epithelialization technique – This method cuts the epithelium using a scalpel to reduce the excess tissue while preserving the labia’s sensitive and erogenous nature. It also effectively maintains the natural corrugation of the labial skin, making the resulting labia look more natural.
Laser labiaplasty – This method uses laser technology to cut the labia minora. The use of laser rather than manual incisions helps lower the risk of epidermoid cysts.
Following the procedure, patients may experience some pain and swelling, but are typically allowed to go home on the same day. They are instructed on how to properly clean the affected area with the use of a topical antibiotic. They are also asked to return to the surgeon’s office for a follow-up visit about a week after the procedure.
The recovery period following a labiaplasty is usually fast and uncomplicated, with most patients able to return to their daily routine three to four days after, as long as strenuous activities are avoided. The use of tampons and tight-fitting underwear, as well as sexual intercourse, are usually not allowed for the first four weeks after the procedure.
المخاطر والمضاعفات المحتملة
The risks associated with labiaplasty include:
- Permanent scarring
- Labial asymmetry
- Delayed wound healing
- Making the inner lining of the labia minora turn outwards
- Skin irritation or irritation of the genital area
- Hematoma, or when blood accumulates outside the venous and arterial system
- Nerve damage, which may cause genital sensitivity to increase or decrease
Motakef S, Rodriguez-Feliz J, Chung MT, Ingargiola MJ, Wong VW, Patel A. Vaginal labiaplasty: current practices and a simplified classification system for labial protrusion. Plast Reconstr Surg.2015;135(3):774–88.
Wu JA, Braschi EJ, Gulminelli PL, Comiter CV. Labioplasty for hypertrophic labia minora contributing to recurrent urinary tract infections. Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2013;19(2):121–3
## Labiaplasty: Overview, Benefits, and Expected Results
**What is Labiaplasty?**
Labiaplasty is a surgical procedure that reshapes the labia minora, the inner skin folds that surround the vaginal opening. It is a cosmetic procedure that can be performed for a variety of reasons, including:
* To reduce the size of the labia minora
* To improve the appearance of the vulva
* To alleviate discomfort during sexual intercourse or physical activity
**Benefits of Labiaplasty**
There are a number of potential benefits to labiaplasty, including:
* *Improved self-confidence:* Many women who have labiaplasty report feeling more confident about their appearance and sexuality after the procedure.
* *Reduced discomfort:* Labiaplasty can alleviate discomfort during sexual intercourse or physical activity. This is especially beneficial for women who have enlarged or elongated labia minora.
* *Improved hygiene:* Labiaplasty can improve hygiene by making it easier to clean the vulva.
* *Easier to wear clothing:* Women who have labiaplasty may find it easier to wear certain types of clothing, such as tight-fitting pants or bathing suits.
The results of labiaplasty can vary depending on the individual patient and the extent of the procedure. However, most women who have labiaplasty are satisfied with the results. The expected results of labiaplasty include:
* A smaller, more symmetrical labia minora
* A more aesthetically pleasing appearance of the vulva
* Reduced discomfort during sexual intercourse or physical activity
* Improved hygiene
* Easier to wear clothing
**Who is a Candidate for Labiaplasty?**
Labiaplasty is a good option for women who are in good overall health and have realistic expectations about the results of the procedure. Women who are considering labiaplasty should consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss the risks and benefits of the procedure and determine if they are a good candidate.
**Risks of Labiaplasty**
As with any surgical procedure, there are some risks associated with labiaplasty, including:
* Temporary numbness
The risks of labiaplasty are relatively low, but it is important to discuss them with your doctor before deciding whether to have the procedure.
**Recovery from Labiaplasty**
The recovery period from labiaplasty is typically short. Most women are able to return to work or school within a few days. However, it is important to avoid strenuous activity for several weeks after the procedure.
Labiaplasty is a surgical procedure that can offer a number of benefits, including improved self-confidence, reduced discomfort, improved hygiene, and easier to wear clothing. The recovery period from labiaplasty is typically short.
If you are considering labiaplasty, be sure to consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss the risks and benefits of the procedure and determine if you are a good candidate.