Endodontists are highly skilled dental specialists in diagnosing and treating tooth pain and performing root canal treatment. How do I know if I need an endodontist? If you’re experiencing tooth pain, you have injured your tooth, and your tooth is sensitive to hot or cold, you should make an appointment to see an endodontist.