Definition & Overview
Forehead augmentation is the surgical procedure for enhancing the shape and volume of the forehead. It is an elective surgery that addresses several issues faced by those who are completely dissatisfied with the shape of their foreheads.
In some cases, the procedure has the ability to make the entire face look smaller and prettier since wrinkles and other surface imperfections are also removed when volume is added to the forehead.
There are three types of forehead augmentation techniques — transplantation of fat, insertion of silicon implant, and the use of osteobond.
Who Should Undergo and Expected Results
Forehead augmentation can be taken advantage of:
- Those who have overly prominent brows or bone protrusion near the eyebrows
- People with tilted foreheads
- Those with flat foreheads and would like to add more volume in the centre region of their foreheads. The added volume can make the lower part of the face narrower, an added benefit for those who wants to achieve a thinner look.
- People whose foreheads appear to have a hollow part
It is good to note that only people deemed physically healthy, with no diagnosed disease or medical condition, are considered suitable for this procedure.
Forehead augmentation, which has high satisfaction rating, typically lasts for only an hour. However, patients may need to schedule several follow-up visits to their physicians to remove stitches as well as evaluate the results. They may resume normal, daily activities after a few days and full recovery is expected after one to two weeks.
How is the Procedure Performed?
The technique used for forehead transplantation depends largely on the amount of volume needed to achieve the desired effect and its expected permanence. Those who need to add only a small amount of volume to sculpt their forehead can opt to undergo the fat transplantation method. For this procedure, the patient is placed under general anaesthesia and fat tissues are harvested from other parts of the body, such as the buttocks, thigh, or abdomen. The extracted tissue is then placed into a centrifuge to remove impurities. The collected tissue is then placed in small syringes and injected into several areas of the forehead, including the hairline, the central region, and near the top of the nose. Only a small volume of fat is injected at a time to make sure a balanced and harmonious look is achieved.
Those with foreheads lacking extreme volume, especially those with hollowed part, may benefit from using silicon implants. For this technique, the implants are modelled a few days before the actual surgery is done. The surgeon makes an incision behind the hairline and the implant is inserted and strategically placed. When the surgeon is satisfied with the volume and location of the implant, the incision is closed with sutures and covered with bandages.
Another technique involves the use of osteobond, a type of bone cement used for reshaping parts of the skull. This procedure is considered permanent since the substance is resilient and can retain its position even after several years. It is inserted through an incision in the hairline while it is still pliable. The surgeon carefully moulds the substance into the desired shape and waits for it to harden. The surgery ends with the closure of incision using sutures.
Possible Risks and Complications
- Forehead augmentation surgery carries some risks and in some cases, linked to complications, which include:
- Adverse reaction to the anaesthesia used
- Fat absorption (for patients who have undergone fat transplantation)
- Excessive fat transplanted, leading to the appearance of a puffy, unnatural appearance
- Silicon implant rupture
- Forehead Augmentation with a Methyl Methacrylate Onlay Implant Using an Injection-Molding Technique Dong Kwon Park, Ingook Song, Jin Hyo Lee, Young June You Arch Plast Surg. 2013 September; 40(5): 597–602. Published online 2013 September 13. doi: 10.5999/aps.2013.40.5.597
**What is Forehead Augmentation? Overview, Benefits, and Expected Results**
Forehead augmentation is a cosmetic procedure that involves enhancing the shape and contour of the forehead. It is performed by surgically implanting a forehead implant or by using dermal fillers. Forehead augmentation aims to balance facial features, improve self-esteem, and restore a more youthful appearance.
**Benefits of Forehead Augmentation:**
* Creates a more balanced facial profile
* Enhances the shape and structure of the forehead
* Reduces the appearance of wrinkles and lines
* Improves the definition of facial contours
* Restores a more youthful and rejuvenated look
* Boosts self-esteem and confidence
The results of forehead augmentation vary depending on the individual’s desired outcome and the specific procedure performed. In general, forehead augmentation creates:
* **A natural enhancement:** The implant or fillers seamlessly blend with the natural anatomy of the forehead, providing a subtle yet noticeable improvement.
* **Improved facial symmetry:** Implants or fillers can correct asymmetries in the shape of the forehead, creating a more harmonious and attractive facial profile.
* **Longevity:** Forehead implants are permanent, while dermal fillers require touch-ups to maintain the desired effect.
**Implant vs. Dermal Filler Forehead Augmentation:**
* **Forehead Implants:** Made of biocompatible silicone, they are permanently placed under the skin to enhance the forehead’s shape and projection. Implants offer a more dramatic and long-lasting result.
* **Dermal Fillers:** Hyaluronic acid-based fillers are injected into the forehead to add volume and smooth wrinkles. They provide a temporary enhancement that typically lasts for 6-12 months.
Before undergoing forehead augmentation, it is essential to consult a qualified plastic surgeon to discuss:
* Your goals and expectations
* The best procedure option for your individual needs
* Risks, complications, and recovery time
* Aftercare instructions to ensure optimal results
Forehead augmentation can transform both the shape of the forehead and the overall appearance of the face. It is a safe and effective procedure that can enhance facial aesthetics and boost self-esteem. By carefully considering the options and choosing an experienced plastic surgeon, individuals can achieve natural-looking, long-lasting results that meet their desired outcome.